In this article, you’re going to learn exactly how to pick out the best hardwood floor vacuum.
Hardwood floors add elegance and natural beauty to any home. With the right care and maintenance, it’s possible to preserve the luster and keep your floors looking like new for many years to come.
Thankfully, the smooth, flat surface of wood flooring makes it a bit easier to clean.
Eliminating dust and debris becomes a simple job when you have the right tools at your disposal.
Why Ordinary Vacuums Just Won’t Do
Many homeowners make the mistake of using any ordinary vacuum.
If you’ve just installed some new flooring or recently moved into a new home with hardwood floors, you might be a bit reluctant to try and find the best vacuum right away, especially if your old one still works perfectly fine.
The big problem that exists even with top rated vacuums is if it’s designed with carpeting in mind, it can actually cause more harm than good when it comes to hardwood floors. Here’s why:
- Traditional cleaning machines have roller brushes with thick bristles that can leave scratches. Not only that, the brush can also scatter dirt and debris, making it even more difficult to clean.
- Machines designed for carpets tend to have plastic wheels, which can easily scratch up wood surfaces. They also lack the padding needed to further prevent damage.
Tips For Choosing The Best Hardwood Vacuum
- No rolling brushes – Rolling brushes are designed to lift dirt, hair, and debris that hide inside carpets. Since this isn’t an issue that wood floor owners have to deal with, the brush will do more harm than good by scratching the surface each time you use it. If you cannot find a model without a rolling brush, look for one that at least allows you to switch off the brush to prevent it from spinning.
- Padding and rubber wheels – Rubber wheels and extra rubber padding will help prevent scratches, digs and other damages.
- Lightweight and compact – No one likes the idea of lugging a heavy machine around. Lightweight models are easy to carry around and easily glide across the floor for effortless cleaning.
- Good suction power – Best vacuums tend to have superior suction quality and power. This ensures that no dust, dirt or debris is left behind.
Upright Vs. Canister
There’s much debate over whether upright or canister vacuums are better when it comes to this floor type. They both have their own pros and cons, but ultimately, it comes down to preference.
One big advantage of using a canister vacuum cleaner is the convenience. Uprights are bulky, difficult to move around and heavy. Canisters, on the other hand, are lightweight and incredibly portable.
Our Recommendation For You
If you’ve visited other vacuum review sites like Vacuum Companion (www.vacuumcompanion.com), Home Floor Experts (www.homefloorexperts.com), or Consumer Reports (www.consumerreports.org), then you already know that finding a good hardwood vacuum is not always an easy task. This is why it’s important to read through actual customer reviews first. It can make the difference between finding a ‘good’ vs. ‘great’ vacuum cleaner.
Luckily, the editors at HardwoodChamp.com have taken the time to do some research and have compiled together all the top rated hardwood vacuums based on customer feedback and reviews. Here is what they came up with:
When it comes to getting the best bang for your buck, we highly recommend the BISSELL Hard Floor Expert 1161. But before making a purchasing decision, make sure you read through as many user reviews as you can and compare the pros, cons, top features of various different models, and pay careful attention to the number of negative/positive reviews. This is the most effective way to find that perfect vacuum for your home, and not have to regret your decision a year later.